The architecture and history of Saint-Lazare are described. The Congregation had its administrative center and motherhouse here from 1632 to 1792. When Vincent de Paul received it, he replanted the fields of the farm with crops to feed the poor and constructed a house for ordinands and a seminary. His successors enlarged the church to hold pilgrims coming to his tomb; this increased access was to aid the process of his canonization. By the 1780s, Saint-Lazare had over 600 rooms, including a pharmacy and physics laboratory. In 1789, Saint-Lazare was pillaged for its grain. After the Congregation was expelled during the Revolution, Saint-Lazare became a prison. Maps, drawings, plans, and photos of dioramas of Saint-Lazare and illustrations of events in its history are included with this article.
Zurawski, Simone Ph.D.
"Saint-Lazare in the Ancient Regime: From Saint Vincent de Paul to the French Revolution,"
Vincentian Heritage Journal: Vol. 14
, Article 2.
Available at: https://via.library.depaul.edu/vhj/vol14/iss1/2