About Via Sapientiae
DePaul University Library has implemented two related services designed to collect, organize, and provide open access to scholarly works produced by the University’s faculty, staff, and students.
The institutional repository, Via Sapientiae, or simply Via, supports DePaul’s goal to enrich academic quality and raise DePaul’s academic reputation by collecting, organizing, and providing open access to scholarly works produced by the University’s faculty, staff, and students. Via also supports the goal to further institutionalize DePaul’s Vincentian and Catholic identity by showcasing DePaul’s unique Vincentian heritage. The goal of this service is to:
- Facilitate the production and dissemination of the University’s journals and conference publications.
- Promote and increase access to the University’s research and scholarship
- Foster collaboration among scholars
- Further DePaul’s Vincentian and Catholic identity
Via provides long-term access and preservation storage for the University’s locally generated scholarship. It also makes unique collections held by the University available to a worldwide audience over the Internet.
SelectedWorks Scholarly Publication Services
An additional related service is called SelectedWorks, which provides a personal webpage for DePaul’s scholars to showcase their research output. SelectedWorks web pages are search engine optimized, which means the online discoverability of any resource posted is maximized. In addition, scholarly materials posted to a personal SelectedWorks page will be selectively ingested into Via.
SelectedWorks is a web-based service provided by DePaul University Library that allows the University's scholars to:
- Present research articles, working papers, presentations and other scholarly work in an engaging manner
- Take control of ownership and dissemination of their research
- Develop their reputation in their field
- Organize work according to personal criteria
- Preserve work in a viewable, usable manner
Any scholar affiliated with DePaul University can register for a SelectedWorks site. Users who create SelectedWorks pages have complete editorial control over their sites. They can easily update their photo, personal information, and decide how they want documents to appear on their page. Users may also include an introductory paragraph and add links to research and materials on other web sites. Furthermore, users may edit how their citations appear and revise and update metadata for their documents.
Please contact M Ryan Hess for more information on Via content and services.