Rosetta Landry White was the assistant to Elizabeth Seton and succeeded her as superioress of the Sisters of Charity for two nonconsecutive terms. Her journal, which covers the period from June 1809 until sometime around 1817, is given here. It records the community’s beginning in Baltimore, the hardships of the sisters’ first winter in Emmitsburg, and their adoption of the rules of the Daughters of Charity (with modifications). It also includes the sisters’ first novitiate and vows, and the first missions outside of Maryland, which were orphanages in Philadelphia and New York. Betty Ann McNeil’s introduction to the journal gives background on White, her career, and the early history of the Sisters of Charity.
McNeil, Betty Ann D.C.
"The Journal of Mother Rose White: The Earliest History of the Sisters of Charity of Saint Joseph's, Emittsburg, Maryland,"
Vincentian Heritage Journal: Vol. 18
, Article 2.
Available at: https://via.library.depaul.edu/vhj/vol18/iss1/2