The Congregation was suppressed and the Daughters of Charity were dissolved due to the French Revolution, although they continued to work outside France. Napoleon reinstated the Daughters of Charity first because of the hospitals’ need for them. The Congregation was re-established because of its relationship with the Daughters and because he believed its foreign missions would spread French influence and prevent other nations from gaining power. To minimize opposition to the Congregation’s 1804 re-establishment, Napoleon manipulated terminology associated with it. He renamed it the Congregation of the Priests of the Mission and officially limited its work to foreign missions. However, the Congregation’s restoration was brief.
Carven, John W. C.M.
"The Vincentian Family and Napoleon,"
Vincentian Heritage Journal: Vol. 5
, Article 2.
Available at: http://via.library.depaul.edu/vhj/vol5/iss2/2