Vincent de Paul founded the first women’s Confraternity of Charity in 1617 to serve the sick poor’s spiritual and physical needs. When the parish Charities multiplied, Louise de Marillac supervised them, and the Daughters of Charity were founded to assist them. The first group known as the Ladies of Charity began in 1634. They spread to the United States in 1857. Twentieth century efforts there included distributing food, money, and clothing; operating orphanages and day nurseries; and visiting marginalized people. The Association of the Ladies of Charity of the United States (ALCUS) started in 1960. The International Association of Charities (AIC) assumed its current form in 1971.
Padberg, Collette and Hannefin, Daniel D.C.
"Saint Vincent’s First Foundation: The Ladies of Charity,"
Vincentian Heritage Journal: Vol. 3
, Article 3.
Available at: http://via.library.depaul.edu/vhj/vol3/iss1/3