This article gives the history of the Louisiana Leper Home, later U.S. Marine Hospital No. 66, and profiles the Daughters of Charity who ran it and provided exceptional health care. The Sisters of Charity and patients faced tremendous hardships. Both groups worked to change public perceptions of Hansen’s Disease (formerly known as leprosy) and policies rooted in prejudice and fear. Patients were originally isolated from the world and from each other. This changed thanks to the sisters’ and residents’ efforts, and the facility served more outpatients. Important research into the disease’s transmission and treatment was also conducted there.
Hannefin, Daniel D.C.
"The Daughters of Charity at Carville: 1896–1981,"
Vincentian Heritage Journal: Vol. 2
, Article 4.
Available at: http://via.library.depaul.edu/vhj/vol2/iss1/4