This article continues the study of Vincentian seminaries in Louisiana begun in the previous issue. Saint Vincent’s Theological Seminary, open from 1859 to 1867, and the Saint Louis Diocesan Seminary, open from 1900 to 1907, were in the same building next to Saint Stephen’s Church in New Orleans. The treatment of Saint Vincent’s describes its finances and gives the reasons for its selection as the relocation site for students from the seminary at LaFourche. Various reasons, including the threat of yellow fever, led to a generally small student body, except for two large groups in 1863 and 1867. The cost of supporting them contributed to the seminary’s closing. Student life is briefly discussed, as are the seminary’s successes. An appendix shows personnel changes, which illustrate the challenges that the Congregation faced in sustaining itself during the Civil War. The discussion of the Saint Louis Diocesan Seminary includes details about student life and academics, finances and enrollments, and notable alumni.
Rybolt, John E. C.M., Ph.D.
"Vincentian Seminaries in Louisiana (2),"
Vincentian Heritage Journal: Vol. 16
, Article 3.
Available at: http://via.library.depaul.edu/vhj/vol16/iss1/3